Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Patience, consequence and restrictions

The other day I walked by a construction site looking at all the amazing things that can be done in the area, the randomness of the environment adding to the awesome. I imagined myself swinging from each beam, doing dives through cracks in a wall and executing a saut de chat to an arm jump on a block of rubble. I looked at these things, and saw how each one could result in different possibilities. Achievement, injury, pain, accomplishment, each one depending on your experience and knowledge of your surroundings. Myself, I like to investigate the situation before training a movement on certain obstacle. This, only being done while training techniques to their full perfection but not when I am using parkour in a real life situation.

When using parkour to get from A to B, there is a lot of running but the amount is also depending on how much space is surrounding you. Something I haven't thought about much and will start considering, is how I layout how I will be accomplishing a movement without injury. This phase would be done during running. The running is not where I go through the mind block though, it's the moment you approach the object and begin to step off the ground. To help me get over these things I am going to start focusing on what I am doing, what could happen, and where each grip placement will hold me. This will also be done during the technique itself, being aware of my surroundings in one sense.

How will this help? It will reduce the amount of possible consequences and reduce likeliness of injury.

What I find saddening is looking at something you would love to do, but you are not confident enough with it because you don't have enough experience with the kind of scenario or technique used to accomplish it. The next day you see the same thing, persuading you to jump, leap and reach. And then the next and the next and the next and so on and so forth. It is sometimes hard to approach this scenario and find it easy to do it without having the experience, which is why I find it a lot easier to use different techniques with similar surroundings to simulate the technique I am trying to learn. After I do this for a while, I become confident enough to engage with the goal I am trying to accomplish.


I would love to write more, but I have work in the morning and will probably lose my trade of thought when I come back to continue this blogging.


-Sonny

1 comment:

InfiniteSingularity said...

Same happens to me. Good to see I'm no the only one